Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Years Fireworks

I volunteered to take call for New Years Eve this year.  Volunteered?  Yep.  I figured late nights are not my thing plus my four little ones that keep me from going out and partying all night.  The truth is all four of them could probably stay up later than me if I would let them but I like my kids well rested.

Happy kids=happy mom.

Matt went into work on NYE for a half a day.  While he was at work I realized I was a little sad that we wouldn't be celebrating at all.  That is, I was sad that we wouldn't get to gorge ourselves with yummy party food.   No little smokies, no cheese and crackers, sparkling cider or bean dip.  I also realized that no one had thrown up or complained of a sick tummy for almost 48 hours.  This alone is reason to celebrate!  Sammy, Conner, Brady and myself had been super sick with a very nasty stomach bug.  48 hours should mean we are better...right?

So off to Wal-Mart we went to load up on junk food.

We started our festivities early since my call started at 6:00.  I was even hopeful that I would be home at 8:00 and we could count down with the kids and pretend it was midnight.  They had so much fun eating tons of the yummy snacky food.  About 20 minutes into their enjoyment the 2 oldest began complaining that they didn't feel good.  REALLY?  Again?  Still?  I was sure they were fine, just ate too much.  I didn't get to stick around to find out though, 6:00 and I was off to the ER.

The ER was SO busy.  Policeman stationed at half the patients doors, signifying other people's NYE party's were in full swing and that a little bit more than sparkling cider was being served.

I made it home around 9:00 and that's when my fun really started for the next 2 hours I held Conner while he was screaming at the top of his lungs that his stomach hurt.  No puke though.

Conner finally asleep.
Baby needs to be nursed.
Baby back to sleep.
Back to the ER.
11:57 clock out of work

Driving home past Burger King as the clock changes to 12:00.  I rolled down my windows despite the frigid wind blowing into the van so I could hear everyone else celebrating.

12:02 watching all the neighbors fireworks and thinking, my kids would LOVE to have seen this.
12:05 come home to find the 2 year old is watching the fireworks, alone, in the upstairs hallway, with a very poopy diaper while Matt is rocking the baby.
12:06 Sammy comes upstairs.  I thought she heard the fireworks.  Nope, she came to make her own.  She started puking so I quickly grabbed her and turned her towards the bathroom.  All the while I am turning her she is puking on everything, Camden, the walls, the carpet and then every possible surface in the bathroom.

Definitely the biggest explosion of our New Years Eve.

2:00am all kids FINALLY in bed, asleep, not crying, not puking.
So of course I get called back into work
I finally was able to crawl into my bed at 4:30am New Years Day.
                             Guess I can stay up late.

****Best husband ever award goes to Matt for cleaning up puke for hours and hours all week long****
                                                             THANK YOU!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this because sometimes I feel like the only person in the world this kind of stuff happens to...what better way to ring in the new year! Hope everyone is feeling better! Miss you and your darling family.